Re: [Muine] My own little rant

On Sun, 2004-06-06 at 01:03 +0100, iain wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 19:35 +0200, Jorn Baayen wrote:
>
> > I obviously think my way is the right way ;) I'll elaborate a bit on
> > that..
> >
> > Imagine having some compilation album, every track having a different
> > artist.
> > Artist: Various Artists, Title: Blah, Album: The Album is a sucky
> > solution as the artist info is gone.
> > Artist: Various Artists, Title: Some Artist - Blah, Album: The Album is
> > sucky too, as artist information is contained in the title tag
> > Artist: Some Artist, Title: Blah, Album: The Album seems to be just fine
> > as no information is gone, and no tags are incorrectly used.
> >
> > So I think we should definetely support the 3rd case.
>
> I disagree that "Various Artists" is a sucky solution.
> Take the compilation "Now 42" for example.
> About 40 different tracks, all different artists.
> The artist is defintely not simply the artist of the first track.

Of course not.  But if you set the artist of the track to the artist
tag, the application grokking those files, say, muine, will recognise
they belong together and display the album as being by "Artist A, Artist
B, and Artist C".  Or, in the case of 40 different artists: "Artist A,
Artist B, and others"

> How do you tag your albums which have 40 different artists on it?

I can't tag albums. I can only tag songs.

> I can see the Sigur Ros/Radiohead/.../...../...... getting a bit tedious
> and unusable, given that ID3 only allowed what, 32 chars?

ID3v2 doesn't have those limits but anymore.  But I'm not in any way
advocating to squish all artist of the whole album into the artist tag
of every song.  I agree that would be a rather sucky solution ;)