Re: [Muine] My own little rant

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 11:02 +0100, iain wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 10:38 +0100, iain wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 11:03 +0200, Jorn Baayen wrote:
> >
> > > - The album key is "dirname:album name" because of the following
> > > reasons: (I should add a comment in the code ..)
> > > We cannot do artist/performer matching, because it is very common for
> > > albums to be made by different artists. Random example, the Sigur
> > > R�adiohead split.
> >
> > So my proposal comes up as
> > "sigur-ros radiohead ba ba"
> > which I don't see a problem with?
> > At least none better than
> > "home/iain/Media/Music/Sigur-ros+radiohead/ba-ba ba ba" which would be
> > what it the current way.
>
> Having looked more into this, I can see the issue now. However both our
> ways don't work given the right situation. Mine won't work if you have a
> strangely tagged mp3
> (I would consider your split sides example badly tagged, but that is
> semantics over what the artist tag refers to, the song or the album)

I obviously think my way is the right way ;) I'll elaborate a bit on
that..

Imagine having some compilation album, every track having a different
artist.
Artist: Various Artists, Title: Blah, Album: The Album is a sucky
solution as the artist info is gone.
Artist: Various Artists, Title: Some Artist - Blah, Album: The Album is
sucky too, as artist information is contained in the title tag
Artist: Some Artist, Title: Blah, Album: The Album seems to be just fine
as no information is gone, and no tags are incorrectly used.

So I think we should definetely support the 3rd case.

> and yours breaks if there's multiple albums called the same thing in the
> same directory.

True :)