Re: What would you do to encourage application developers on GNOME Mobile?

On 06/05/10 10:44, Jamie Bennett wrote:
On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 11:24 +0300, Quim Gil wrote:
ext Jamie Bennett wrote:
It is well known that Gtk+ and Clutter will be used for the first
iteration, it is also well known that Gtk+ and Clutter will be replaced
by Qt after this release.

Source? At least this is not well known by me.  :) GTK+/Clutter are
supposed to be in future releases as well.

There has been numerous discussions about Qt being the main toolkit for
future releases, I'm sure you know that ;) I was not saying Gtk+ and
Clutter would be banished, just put on the back-seat.

Anyway, this is not productive as a Gnome Mobile discussion so I'll stop
talking about it.

The question for the GNOME project is whether it wants to make sure that
GNOME technologies will be available for developers in that platform. If
we talk about mobile platforms, what are the implications for GNOME of
not using MeeGo as a reference platform?

Gnome would have to fund some other existing initiative or create a
community around one?

Are there better strategic candidates to choose?

At the moment, not really, but that doesn't mean one cannot
materialize/be created.

I personally see no issue with GNOME siding with MeeGo. The underlying tech is all from the GNOME camp, and now that Qt is an open for contributions and LGPL, I don't see any real reason we couldn't accept it as an external dependency for GNOME applications.

I would say the real strength of GNOME over the last few years has been as a space for innovation of new desktop *and mobile* technologies, though we often have had difficulties in really adopting and engaging with these innovations. I'd quite like to hear what people here think our focus, as stakeholders in the GNOME project, should be.

Debate! :)

Rob

Regards,
Jamie.