Re: Hildon on MeeGo

On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 22:48 +0200, ext Murray Cumming wrote:
> So I think, at the very least, some effort should be made to get GTK+
> and Hildon working reasonably well on Maemo Harmattan, when there is
> some public SDK to base that on. Otherwise you can encourage all the
> little apps you like but they won't run on the next version of Maemo
> anyway.
> "

It's also my plan to help in this as Harmattan window manager developer.
If someone wants to start the porting work from libhildon side, I
suggest compiling and running the mdecorator and mcompositor from:
http://qt.gitorious.org/maemo-6-ui-framework/duicompositor (mcompositor,
mdecorator)

You could use duihome, or just fake it by showing a
_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DESKTOP window and
start applications from command line.
http://qt.gitorious.org/maemo-6-ui-framework/duihome

You need libmeegotouch for mdecorator and duihome:
http://qt.gitorious.org/maemo-6-ui-framework/libdui
(I think libmeegotouch and widgetsgallery is already available for
Fremantle from somewhere...)

For libmeegotouch you need the theme (this should also be available for
Fremantle?):
http://qt.gitorious.org/maemo-6-ui-framework/duitheme  (meegotouchtheme)

Things in libhildon needing porting (at least):
- opening the application menu (in Fremantle, a ClientMessage was used,
would need to be added to mdecorator)
- adding ConfigureRequest magic for HildonStackableWindow stacking
(libhildon would be responsible of stacking the windows, unlike in
Fremantle)
- sliding animations (requires coordination with the WM)
- input methods (should come from the GSOC project?)
- some of the differences may not be obvious before a proper SDK is
out...

-Kimmo