Re: Hildon on MeeGo

Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Cornelius Hald wrote:
>> Exactly. BTW what are other Gnome-based mobile stacks that could have an
>> interest in Hildon? GPE looks quite dead. OLPC has a much bigger screen
>> size. And Openmoko doesn´t look that active as well. Are there others?
>
> ACCESS Linux Platform, and any other LiMo platform. I think Bada has
> most of the GNOME Mobile components in there? Poky Linux comes to mind too.

ALP (Access Linux Platform) is effectively dead - the last downloadable
ALP suite is dated from 2008. The latest 3.0 is "LiMO compliant" which
means Gnome/GTK+ stack to some extent but LiMo seems to switch from GTK+
to Web2.0 using Bondi - their latest R3.x SDK and developer docs are
pitily not open (yet) so we cannot say for sure, see
http://developer.limofoundation.org/index.php/en/resources/apis

Bada is meant to be Linux independent - I would be surprised to find any
Gnome components in there and especially no "stack". Bada is Samsung's
own C++ based framework. If you look at
http://dpimg.ospos.net/contents/tutorials/bada_SDK_1.0.0b3/badaTutorial.Overview.pdf
at least I do not see any mention or hint on Gnome parts.

Poky is a distribution like Angstrom or Ubuntu - nice but does not show
any "productisation". The parts are there but not a real use-case or
show case for a "stack".

The only ones worth to mention and actively using Gnome/mobile (parts),
as far a I know and IMHO, are Maemo (now switching to Qt) and
Freesmartphone.org (almost dead due to lack of hackable devices).

The very same reason for FSO loosing attraction also applies to GPE - no
hackable devices. All half way accessible devices come with binary only
parts that make it extremely hard to put anything but the original
system on them (like N900, PalmPre, most/all Android devices, etc.).

The only parts that are still actively maintained from GPE are the PIM
apps since Maemo up to V4 did not have reasonable PIM apps and even
Maemo5 PIM lacks quite some functionality that people expect and find in
GPE PIMs.

> Cheers,
> Dave.
Cheers
  nils

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535
http://www.kernelconcepts.de