Re: Hildon on MeeGo

Hi Claudio,

Claudio Saavedra wrote:
On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 18:11 +0100, Dave Neary wrote:
That said, it is disappointing that there was essentially no response
from anyone involved in the GTK+ toolkit as to what changes would be
required in GTK+ to allow Hildon to be developed & maintained as a
useful independent project on top of stock GTK+.

As Javier said, I don't think this is something for the GTK+ team to
move forward. It is up to the people interested in Hildon running in
$PLATFORM_OF_CHOICE to actively bring up the issues they have
encountered when trying to do so.

Well yes. Still it´s important to first get all facts and thus I´m asking. For example, it could have been the case, the the Gnome Foundation took the money from Nokia to actually get Hildon running on MeeGo. If that would have been the case, it wouldn´t make much sense for other people to try it as well.

Just someone sending emails here and there asking why Hildon doesn't run
in $PLATFORM_OF_CHOICE is not going to change the state of things.

I actually have a name and we even met on the Maemo Summit in Amsterdam...

It
takes a bit more of effort and I haven't seen anyone really interested
in anything other than seeing Hildon running out of the box somewhere
without having to work for it. Hildon is now a community project, and
without a community pushing for it, you can guess where things will end
up.

Now that I know, that no one is actually working on it, I can think about whether or not to do something about it. But honestly I don´t think I have the necessary skills to do so. Of course I could invest a lot of my time in learning GTK+ and Hildon internals. But then, on the other hand, it looks like I should rather invest this time in rewriting my GTK+/Hildon application in Qt. Because yes, it looks like there is no real interest besides some people asking...

Cheers,
Conny