Re: future of Hildon

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 06:54:17AM +0100, Gour wrote:

> Alberto> As a matter of fact I am developing an app (Vagalume) that
> Alberto> runs on the desktop, Maemo (v4), Moblin (v1), Win32 and
> Alberto> even OpenMoko with very few changes (a new version is on
> Alberto> the works but it hasn't been released yet).
>
> Hmm, interesting...Moblin-v1 is quite old, right?

That was the one available at that time... I haven't made any new
release since Moblin 2 was published, but I hope to add support for it
soon.

> Alberto> The thing is that, although Moblin 2 looks good and
> Alberto> promising, Maemo 5 is already on the mainstream market and
> Alberto> there is a lot of potential in it, so I think that the
> Alberto> effort is worth it.
>
> One consideration is that, afaik, Moblin runs on more hardware
> devices than Maemo, i.e. there are much more different netbooks than
> Nokia devices available.

That's right, and is one variable to consider (although more different
devices don't necessarily mean more end users). But well, I'm not
a futurologist and I don't know how much Maemo 5 or Moblin 2 will
succeed :)

> Alberto> The future of GTK/Hildon in Maemo 6 is not clear yet,
> Alberto> though there has been some debate about it and I wouldn't
> Alberto> be surprised if a version of GTK/Hildon for Maemo 6 appears
> Alberto> in the future.
>
> Well, afaik, it's clear that Qt will be default toolkit and based
> on the comments on 'Maemo talk', Nokia even has problem to provide
> one-multiplatform-solution even with Qt, so I'm highly doubtful they
> will push GTK/Hildon in Maemo 6.

I don't think that any GTK/Hildon version for Maemo 6 will be
developed by Nokia, when they announced it during the GCDS they said
clearly that GTK would be maintained by the community.

Berto