Re: future of Hildon

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 08:38:53AM +0100, Gour wrote:

> Stefan> SO if you use a gtk+ ui you can probably make it buildable
> Stefan> for both maemo and moblin.
>
> Yeah, at the moment it is so, but in regard to future it looks as
> Moblin is safer bet.

I'm with Stefan, you shouldn't have many problems in making it
buildable on both versions. Hildon provides some widgets, but most of
the UI code should be standard GTK.

As a matter of fact I am developing an app (Vagalume) that runs on the
desktop, Maemo (v4), Moblin (v1), Win32 and even OpenMoko with very
few changes (a new version is on the works but it hasn't been released
yet).

The thing is that, although Moblin 2 looks good and promising, Maemo 5
is already on the mainstream market and there is a lot of potential in
it, so I think that the effort is worth it.

The future of GTK/Hildon in Maemo 6 is not clear yet, though there has
been some debate about it and I wouldn't be surprised if a version
of GTK/Hildon for Maemo 6 appears in the future. There are already
quite a few GTK apps available for the N900 and I'm sure there will be
interest in having them available in Maemo 6.

Berto