Re: GNOME Mobile release notes

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 17:39 +0200, Esben Stien wrote:
> We need a way to pop up a keyboard. This has to work with the panels,
> so that they move. Most of the time, there is no available keyboard on
> a mobile device.

Use the panel apple which makes the panel appear.

> This also makes a huge problem with gnome screensaver. When I lock my
> phone, I cannot access it again without a keyboard. We need a signal
> to pop up the keyboard in gnome screensaver. Also, sometimes you don't
> want to lock it with a password, you just want to lock the screen, so
> that you can f.ex draw a circle or something on the screen to unlock
> it. There should also be a way to have a separate password for the
> screen saver and not the same as your login password. Maybe you want a
> simple numeric PIN to unlock it, but a real password when you start
> the device and log in.
>
> It's also problematic having the device in your pocket cause the
> screen turns on every time you touch it. A signal from the devices'
> buttons could turn on the screen.

The gnome-screensaver/keyboard interaction is a known issue which needs
to be solved.  It's *very* non-trivial.  This and the rest of the
problems indicate that using gnome-screensaver is a bad idea on a mobile
device.  Someone needs to write a mobile-focused lock screen, because on
a mobile you won't have a login password or so on, you just want to lock
the screen from input.

> Also, there should be an option to immediately lock the screen when
> GDM starts up. This is because on a mobile device, it takes some time
> for it to boot up and you put it in your pocket. If the screen is not
> locked, you risk pressing the buttons on the GDM menu.

Why are you running gdm on a mobile device?

> Another serious issue is that it's not possible to grab a window and
> move it past the upper panel. Even if you hold down meta and drag from
> the middle of the window, you can only drag it past the lower panel,
> but not the upper. This makes using many desktop applications
> impossible.

The mobile platform suggests using a mobile-focused window manager, such
as Matchbox.  With metacity I can drag a window entirely off the screen
in all directions.

If you want to use desktop applications on a mobile device without
modifications then feel free, but in generally they'll be a terrible
experience.

> There should also be an option for gnome panel to only show icons
> instead of text. This is not possible for open windows, f.ex. It gets
> pretty crowded on small devices.

To be honest gnome-panel isn't expected to work on mobile, try
matchbox-panel or hildon-desktop.

> All these issues should have individual bug reports, of course, but
> gnome mobile should be at the center here, cause these issues just
> makes gnome unusable on such devices, which is really sad;).

The basic message here is that GNOME the desktop environment isn't
expected or designed to work on mobile devices, because the use cases
and interaction are so different.  GNOME Mobile is about defining a
platform which unifies all of the mobile devices which are using GNOME
technologies.  None of these devices are using desktop components in a
mobile environment, and for good reasons.

Ross
--
Intel Open Source Technology Centre
http://oss.intel.com/