Re: [mlview-list]Text wrapping, text editing features, etc. in mlview

Hello Dodji and everyone!

i'm glad there is so much interest in this issue. i figured, while everyone is throwing pennies, i would add some of my sense (bad pun).

Dodji Seketeli wrote:
- we should have a wrap/non wrap mode for widgets
- we should have normalization functions for serialization
- these modes should apply to whole documents when they are switched on,
but xml:space="preserve" nodes can be displayed and serialized
'verbatim' everytime

Do we agree on that ?

Yup, I buy that ;)

i like that, too. for wrapping in the widget, i really think there "could" be three options for the user: wrapping, absolute no wrapping, and an "actual" wrap (possibly called "Reveal Formatting"). Wrapping would be the most user-friendly way to see the content in mlview. non-wrapping would be a super long line (perhaps this wouldn't even be useful). The "Reveal Formatting" option would not impose rules on the display of the information at all, leaving the user to see what the file's format will really look like.

Another thing, the "Reveal Formatting" option could also offer some customization. tabs could show up as arrows and spaces could be dots. Anjuta does this (i've included a screenshot)

Auto-formatting could also be boolean; i.e., let me forget about formatting versus don't touch my document. with auto-formatting on, the user should at least have the choice of line length, tab options (true tabs vs spaces, and how big a tab is), and what to do with extra spaces at the end of lines.

now, there is one possible problem with automatically maintaining an absolute line length. what if the xml document is highly nested, and a line that is heavily indented exceeds the designated line length. mlview would then force the code to break to the next line. could this not cause problems? i've never really broken my xml up like that, so i really don't know what happens.

finally, thanks to dodji and all who have helped in developing mlview. i really think it has the potential to become a very popular xml editor.

scott

PNG image