Re: Merging spif-2 branch

Havoc Pennington wrote:

On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 12:36 +0000, Bill Haneman wrote:
I don't mind putting the core a11y features, or at least some of the rendering mods, into metacity, either directly or as some kind of plugin. Seems like a good approach, if you don't mind having to deal with the consequences (i.e. public API in the WM, plugins tickling your code, etc.).

The approach I'd suggest is to define an API specific to the magnifier,
rather than trying to do a general plugin system (I don't know how that
would work anyway)
Hmm, general is good IMO, can't we just have some simple rendering-pipeline API so that image ops can be chained ? i.e. "add this image operator to the CM's pipeline at the beginning/end".

You probably want any magnifier UI (dialogs, buttons) to be in a
separate process from the WM and CM; metacity already uses separate
processes for dialogs and things since it's too hard to run regular GTK
code inside the WM, and it's probably even harder from inside the CM.

The magnifier "lens" is the part that really has to be in the CM right?
Yep, pretty much.

I don't really have a clue about the details but I can imagine there's
an API for remote-controlling the "lens" (show it, hide it, change mode,
whatever) and the magnifier app uses that API... something like that. I
don't really know...
Yes; see cvs module gnome-mag, GNOME_Magnifier.idl.

Bill

Havoc