Re: Timeline for the upcoming elections

Tobias:

On 21.02.2012 10:15, Germán Póo-Caamaño wrote:
Last year, [...]
So which date do you propose put on the schedule? July 1st?

That'd be way before GUADEC. But well, it's well in accordance with the
bylaws. And it worked that way since 2000 or so. So while handing over
at GUADEC is probably a great benefit, it's not necessarily needed. And
handing over is ~4 weeks after taking over.

I personally don't mind at all, but if you want me to put smth in the
schedule, then I just want to know what to put ;-)

I think the schedule should say the new board takes over on July 1st
since that is what our by-laws say.

In past years, new board members are subscribed to the mailing lists
and are encouraged to attend at least 1 board meeting before July 1st
to help the transition.

It is also customary for the old board to stay on the mailing lists
until GUADEC is over to further assist with the transition.  At GUADEC,
the old and new board members attend the board meeting together, which
also helps.

So, July 1st is just the point in time when the board transitions to
so that the new board is doing the actual voting.  For the first few
meetings with a new board, it is typical for the new board to ask
the old board members for input and to ask them how they would vote
on specific things.

Brian