[gnome.org #11946] [RENEWAL] Application received from Benjamin Otte (otte AT gnome.org)

On Fri Jun 03 12:46:31 2011, otte gnome org wrote:

Yes. And I expect you to take that very seriously, because it's a UI
failure.
Just as I take it very seriously when you tell me about annoying
dialog boxes where you have to do nothing but click "OK". In fact, I'm
spending a large part of my time making sure the software that you are
using does not annoy you.

If you wish to help us updating our forms/scripts you will be definitely welcome and I can
provide you all the needed informations you may require or need.

That is just not true. Unless you can back that up in any way, I am
not going to believe you.
In fact, the exact opposite is stated on the foundation web page and I
pointed that out in a previous email:
  "Renewal applications and applications from previous members who did
not renew are automatically accepted. If your membership expires, you
won't be able to use rights of GNOME Foundation Members before
renewing your membership."

So yes, once somebody is qualified to be a member of the GNOME
foundation, she is qualified for life.

asking applicants to complete a form is the only thing we require to contributors, like you,
that have been active during the past years to the Foundation. But how should we behave
with a contributor that stopped contributing 10 years ago and now wants to renew his
membership? So while it can be true that membership never ends, it looks silly to me to
renew a membership (like the one explained above) right away, there must be a check to
ensure that our Foundation is made by people that really care about GNOME and contribute
to it not just with words but with real facts. I hope you've understood my point here.

What I would love to see is a constructive discussion between you (or John or anyone
complaining now) to help us to update our scripts to make things going better. Complaining
just for the sake of doing so will just lead us no where.

--
Andrea,
GNOME Accounts Team