Re: [gnome.org #11946] [RENEWAL] Application received from Benjamin Otte (otte AT gnome.org)

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Andrea Veri via RT
<membership-applications gnome org> wrote:

Sorry? are you kidding me? I spend several hours to update Committee's wiki and webpages,
preparing elections and processing new members and renewals and you tell me that writing a
small summary of your contributions once every two years is a problem?

Yes. And I expect you to take that very seriously, because it's a UI failure.
Just as I take it very seriously when you tell me about annoying
dialog boxes where you have to do nothing but click "OK". In fact, I'm
spending a large part of my time making sure the software that you are
using does not annoy you.

No, membership is *not* qualified for life, you gain it, you lose it by being inactive or by
stopping your contributions after a good amount of time. Following your reasoning people
not contributing to the Foundation since 10 years should still be considered Foundation
members? Looks like you've never understood what a Foundation is, and what does it mean
to be a Foundation member.

That is just not true. Unless you can back that up in any way, I am
not going to believe you.
In fact, the exact opposite is stated on the foundation web page and I
pointed that out in a previous email:
  "Renewal applications and applications from previous members who did
not renew are automatically accepted. If your membership expires, you
won't be able to use rights of GNOME Foundation Members before
renewing your membership."

So yes, once somebody is qualified to be a member of the GNOME
foundation, she is qualified for life.

Benjamin