Re: GNOME Board elections 2009 (draft)

Hey :)

Susana Pereira wrote:
In the last elections the membership needed to valid until the end of
the elections. See
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2007-November/msg00000.html
:

"To be able to vote, you need to be a member of the GNOME Foundation
and your membership needs to be valid at least until the end of the
elections. For example, a member whose membership ends on November
30th 2007 won't be able to vote for the elections. A notification
e-mail for those member hip had been expired will be sent before
renewal deadline. "

Thanks for the pointer. Although I wouldn't whole heartedly agree with that rule, I'm fine with it.

I assume we go with that rule. So the Closing of Challenges marks the end of our election. Thus, the 2009-09-26 is the last date, one has to be a member of the GNOME foundation, correct?

We now have a timeframe, rather than a single date which one has to be a member of the GNOME foundation: One has to be a member by the time the voting begins and until the elections are over. This complicates things a bit, because f.e. the script which determines the eligible members (Remember http://foundation.gnome.org/membership/members.php?date=2009-06-03? :) ) takes a single date only.

Is it safe to assume that every person, who is a member at 2009-06-03 will be a member at 2009-06-26? I.e. does any membership run out in the middle of a month?

If everybody will still be a member, I don't see a problem with the current website/calendar.

For the future, we'd better run with a simpler policy. Maybe: "A person is eligible if she's a member by the start of the election". The right to challenge the results deducts from the right to vote, not from the membership-status. But we'll better discuss this in depth after the current elections took place. Maybe GUADEC is good place to do that :)

Keep rocking,
  Tobi