Re: GNOME Board of Directors Foundation Elections Spring 2009 - Preliminary results

Hi,

Stormy Peters wrote:
I too think the election committee should just decide.

(From board discussions, I'm pretty confident they wanted to do it however Maemo does it, but at this point I think the election committee should decide.)

I'd replace "decide" with "clarify" here - it's clear there was an intention, and now we're in something of a niche situation, where we just need a clarification from the committee what method they intended to use - then we just count with that.

I prefer fractional transfer because its results are deterministic, they will not be different if you run the election 10 different times. That isn't true of random transfer (which is a real world compromise to make hand-counting big elections feasible). But if that's not what the election committee intended, then so be it, we'll count it the other way, organise a hand check, and be done with it.

Having counted the election by hand yesterday, I can tell you that the hand count will come down to a 1 or 2 vote difference between Sri and Jorge for the last seat, and Vincent, Behdad, German, Brian and Diego will be elected.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary