Re: GNOME Board of Directors Foundation Elections Spring 2009 - Preliminary results

Hi,

john palmieri wrote:
Is it really fair if people can't agree on how it works? Seems to go against the GNOME principle of simplicity by adding more choices to fix some of the issues of voting. I'm all for making things more fair but I'm not sure the complexity actually fixes things or hides the issues under a layer of complexity. In any case the final decision should be well documented on how it was reached. If at all possible, done by hand showing the work at each step.

The way forward seems clear to me - the membership committee decides what counting method will be used, announces it, and we count the election according to that means. There doesn't need to be a crisis here.

I have contacted the OpenSTV developers about the issues with transfers which I noticed in the distribution of Vincent's surplus. If there are bugs that need fixing on OpenSTV, we should make sure that gets done too. Counting/checking the election by hand is not impossible with only 221 votes - in fact it's quite easy with the random transfer surplus distribution method.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary