Re: Lack of borders around menus, widgets, windows, panels, etc.

On 18 July 2015 at 09:33, Grant Edwards <grant b edwards gmail com> wrote:
On 2015-07-17, Kai Willadsen <kai willadsen gmail com> wrote:
On 16 July 2015 at 02:34, Grant Edwards <grant b edwards gmail com> wrote:
After a recent upgrade (probably from 1.x to 3.x) I noticed that there
are now no borders around windows/panels, popup/dropdown menus,
scrollbars, etc.

For examples, see

 http://www.panix.com/~grante/foo.png
 http://www.panix.com/~grante/bar.png

At first I thought I would get used to it, but there are still
situations where I find it visually confusing.

Is there any way to get those borders back?

The lack of borders on the pop-ups (and windows/panels/scrollbars I
assume) look like a theme issue to me.

Does that mean they don't look like that for other people?

They certainly don't look like that to me, but I'm also currently
running either an older GTK+ version or a weird newer jhbuild GTK+
version depending. It's possible it's specific to that GTK+ version,
but I'd be surprised.

I'm sure we don't touch any
styling around that. The upgrade from 1.x to 3.x included going from
GTK+ 2 to GTK+ 3, so I'd be looking at that as a likely change.

The odd thing is that none of other GTK apps on my machine look like
that.  I downloaded the PyGTK demos and ran all of them, and none of
them look like meld with the borderless white-on-white menus and
widgets.  I've tried changing themes and meld still looks the same.

PyGTK uses GTK+ 2, so that's not necessarily a good test. If other
apps aren't showing the same behaviour though, I don't know what could
be going on. Are you sure the other apps you're testing with are using
GTK+ 3?

Also, I notice that whatever window manager you're using is causing
the fallback (i.e., non global) application menu, and I definitely
haven't tested with other window managers. The other things you're
saying are borderless (except scrollbars, which in that screenshot
look normal to me) are all top-level windows, so I'd be suspicious of
some interaction there.

cheers,
Kai