Lack of borders around menus, widgets, windows, panels, etc.

After a recent upgrade (probably from 1.x to 3.x) I noticed that there
are now no borders around windows/panels, popup/dropdown menus,
scrollbars, etc.

For examples, see

 http://www.panix.com/~grante/foo.png
 http://www.panix.com/~grante/bar.png

At first I thought I would get used to it, but there are still
situations where I find it visually confusing.

Is there any way to get those borders back?

I particularly miss the left/right-hand borders around the file panes
when looking at code comparisons.

Is there any way to get those borders back?

Gentoo Linux
Python 2.7.9
glib 2.42.2
gtk+ 3.14.13
pygobject 3.14.0
pygtksourceview 2.10.1-r1
pygtk 2.24.0-r4

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! does your DRESSING
                                  at               ROOM have enough ASPARAGUS?