Re: Lack of borders around menus, widgets, windows, panels, etc.

On 16 July 2015 at 02:34, Grant Edwards <grant b edwards gmail com> wrote:
After a recent upgrade (probably from 1.x to 3.x) I noticed that there
are now no borders around windows/panels, popup/dropdown menus,
scrollbars, etc.

For examples, see

 http://www.panix.com/~grante/foo.png
 http://www.panix.com/~grante/bar.png

At first I thought I would get used to it, but there are still
situations where I find it visually confusing.

Is there any way to get those borders back?

The lack of borders on the pop-ups (and windows/panels/scrollbars I
assume) look like a theme issue to me. I'm sure we don't touch any
styling around that. The upgrade from 1.x to 3.x included going from
GTK+ 2 to GTK+ 3, so I'd be looking at that as a likely change.

I particularly miss the left/right-hand borders around the file panes
when looking at code comparisons.

Is there any way to get those borders back?

Short answer is: not that I know of.

We're using GtkSourceGutters to do our action rendering in 3.x. These
render as subwindows of the GtkTextview, and I don't believe you can
style those subwindows separately to styling the text view as a whole.
I'm happy to be wrong here.

In what-will-be-3.15-soon we do a lot more custom drawing of those
renderers, and I've been thinking about trying to use a separating
background colour for the gutter + linkmap, but it's definitely not
going to be in 3.14.

cheers,
Kai