Re: Meld 1.7.1 released

On 4 April 2013 06:48, Nick <nospam codesniffer com> wrote:
(Thinking out loud here...)

I'm reminded of KDiff3's behavior w/ this.  I don't remember what it
does w/ the exit code, but when merging a file (baseless or from a
base), only the output pane is editable--the others are read-only.  So
from that perspective, saving the output pane is less ambiguous.  But
IIRC, it also prompts to save and exit before closing the merge, which
was a subtle reminder for me of what will happen next.

We'll certainly prompt if a file is changed and not saved. Are you
saying that it prompts even if there were no changes made?

So, would this situation be simplified if Meld made all but one pane
read-only when merging?  I'm not sure how feasible this is for users.  I
know that I sometimes use Meld to sync changes between files which
involves saving to more than one pane.  KDiff3 limits the user in this
way.

We sort-of do this as of 1.7.1. If a file is set read-only on disk, we
now respect that and disable editing (and associated chunk-editing
actions) for that pane, so a VC could just remove writable permissions
from non-output files before invoking Meld.

Alternatively, if I recall correctly, auto-merge mode forces
everything except the middle pane to be read-only.

Either way, maybe this is another list item for the
possible-future-mergetool mode?

cheers,
Kai