Re: Meld 1.7.1 released

On 3 April 2013 06:06, Angel Ezquerra <angel ezquerra gmail com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Kai Willadsen <kai willadsen gmail com> wrote:
On 3 April 2013 02:01, Keegan Witt <keeganwitt gmail com> wrote:
I exceeded my Dropbox public folder limits, the new home for them is here:
https://meld-installer.googlecode.com/files/meld-0.0.0.0.exe
https://meld-installer.googlecode.com/files/meld-0.0.0.0.zip
I'll keep these around permanently and periodically update them with the
latest from Git master.  I include the .git directory, so you can do a git
pull on the meld directory at any time if you want to update it yourself.

This seems like an important issue to get fixed.  Do you think it'd be
appropriate to push out another release sooner rather than later?

Yeah, could do. I'll see if I can find time this weekend for it. For
that to happen, I'd appreciate any testing that people might want to
throw at current git. Several Windows-related fixes went in over the
weekend for Git actions, temp files and executable locating, and it
would be nice if they worked for someone other than me.

cheers,
Kai

There is a serious issue on Windows that we've been discussing on the
mercurial-devel mailing list, which is that meld returns 0 even if you
do not save the merge output (i.e. if the merge fails). This makes
mercurial believe that the merge was successful when it isn't.

For now we are thinking of enabling mercurial's "checkchanged" option
for meld, which means that mercurial will check if the merge output
changed once meld exits, and ask the user if the merge failed if it
did not. That is a band-aid though, so improvements on that area would
be really great.

I think Keegan is aware of that issue. Something related to portable python?

Not a portable python problem I think. We don't ever (to my
recollection) change return values. I'm not sure that it makes sense
to do so either, since there's no way to indicate multiple returns
(i.e., tabs 1 and 3 were saved but tab 2 wasn't). I realise that
launching multiple merges isn't a common case, but... it just feels
wrong to me.

Could you explain why you consider the checkchanged option to be a band-aid?

cheers,
Kai