Re: rfc: find dialog replaced with findbar

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Stephen Kennedy <stevek gnome org> wrote:
> Kai:
>> Looks like a nice change. The only thing is that I think it could
>> generally act a bit more like other find bars, use similar strings,
>> etc. I guess this means use "Find:" instead of "Search for", have
>> "Find Next" and "Find Previous" buttons, and don't have a close
>> button, but just close when the bar loses focus.
>
> What other apps have a find bar? I took the main idioms from firefox
> Ctrl+F search which stays until closed - either with the button or with
> Escape. You think it should behave more like the quickfind "/"?

I like the firefox-like find bar, but will it be practical for a full
replacement
of the find/replace window ?

> Vincent:
>> - highlighting of found text does not always work, and it's not always
>> at the same place that it works or not
>
> Can you explain a little more? How can I reproduce the bug?

I just opened a filediff on some file, hit CTRL-F entered some search
text which is in the file being viewed, and clicked on the find button,
multiple times. Nothing happened. then I hit Enter key and search
jumped to an occurrence of the text to search, there were several
visible, on the same lines or on different lines, but each enter
key press didn't always highlight the next instance, sometimes it
worked, sometimes it just did not highlight the found text but the
next keypress would work.

> Remove popup dialogs - use a different notification of errors.

popups dialogs are evil !

> Status label?
> Web-like tooltip popup?

Care to explain what those 2 would be ?