keymap problem with 4.8.27

Part of the keys are mine, part are not.
Especially I'm unable to prevent f1 to call the internal Help. I had banned it to f20 because I never use it. Instead I Use f1 to invoke the hotlist becaus ctrl-\ not usable with german keyboard layout.
Also, I invoked search with ctrl-f because alt-? is not usable here.
But it doesn't work any more.

I replaced every keymap file (in /etc/mc, /root/.config/mc and /usr/share/mc) with a link to my keymap and also copied default.keymaps
out of the way, but to no avail.

So, currently I am changing keymap.c to use my keys. Of course this shouldn't be necessary.

henning

P.S. I really appreciate your work on mc. I came to mc directly from DOS Norton Commander n the end of the 90s and have it used ever since in whatever Linux/Unix installation. It is, together with bash and sed one of the programmes I always ensure to have and I always compile myself.

henning