Re: mcedit: Center current line in middle of screen

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021, Sebastian Gniazdowski wrote:

I have made the wish list on the ticket system: http://midnight-commander.org/ticket/4177

Are there any interesting entries? Or: is the direction in them compliant with the maintainer vision?

Sorry, I've used up the time that I can make for mc for the coming months, but to make it short, I'd rather side with Andrew.

I'm pretty averse to overloading mcedit with small hardly discoverable functions (however useful they are), and bolting on a questionable scripting engine on top of that.

There are enough fundamental problems with mc codebase, and my vision for it would have been to clean up the core, cover it with tests, and expose its API to an external engine, which provides a high level memory managed language. Everything beyond core could be pushed into this layer and left up to users and distributions...

This was pretty much what mc^2 was a prototype for, but very unfortunately we didn't have the capacity to integrate it :-(

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev