Re: Irritations and frustrations with improved(?) search functionality

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:

On Sun, 2010-04-25 at 20:22 -0500, Theodore Kilgore wrote:

As I said, the problem is that forward search does not display the dialog
which you say is supposed to pop up. It just wraps without any warning at
all. This may be fixed in a more recent version than I am using, of
course.

As to wrapping the backward search, well, as I said in my other message, I
do not think that is so terribly important. I would much rather have
things fixed which I used to use and they quit working.

Than version that you are using is outdated.

Which I mentioned as a possibility, nine lines above. Thank you very much
for checking into the matter.

We are putting a lot of
effort to maintain a stable 4.7.0.x branch (relatively) bug free, so if
you want an experience that matches 4.6.x as closely as possible in
terms of the behavior and stability you should use this instead of
random git snapshots of the work in progress.

In what concerns backwards wrapping, I checked out on 4.6.x and it
didn't wrap either way. I will file a bug for you.

As I said, I am not greatly concerned about whether a backwards search
will wrap, or not. Nor, for that matter, a forward search. It is too easy,
really, to go to the top (or bottom) of the file and repeat the search.
Therefore, I do not consider failure to wrap a search to be any kind of
serious bug. OTOH, you do see a serious problem. Fine. I see that you do.
But please do notice that perhaps "I will file a bug for you" does not
exactly fit the context.

What does concern me is a search which wraps without telling anyone that
it is wrapping. That is in my user opinion bad behavior which needs to be
fixed. You say that this problem is fixed already, and all I have to do is
to grab a later version. Great. So no need to file a bug report about
that problem, either.

Also, thank you again for taking the trouble to explain in the other
message, that how problems like these came up in the first place.

Theodore Kilgore