Re: mc in fedora 10

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 20:18:21 +0100
"Yury V. Zaytsev" <yury shurup com> wrote:

Vis. "waste days on recompiling packages from older source archives"
 -- no, I just find the homepage, download the source tarball, and
 compile it according to  my preferences.  I do not have a hard time
 determining and accounting  for prereqs.

I guess you have never compiled anything requiring more than 3 libraries
then. Try a static build of VLC (or, say, qtiplot, anyone?) for starters
and than report back.

No, I've done the "linux from scratch" thing, actually, which means building a new glibc,
bootstrap-rebuilding gcc, etc, then every other single library after that.  Not that I do that often (or want
to), but it's been done and I honestly almost prefer building from source; on my current install X is from
the distro but the entire gtk chain is source built, partially because I have a public project involving gtk
so it's curiousity.  I rebuild the kernel all the time, my system is always totally stable, I have no problem
"forcing" in higher level packages on top of that.

So yeah, I kind of sneer at a lot of the install systems that have developed in the past decade (those years
I spent travelling must have been big ones in linux development!) altho this sneer is completely ridiculous
and unjustified.  I am coming to appreciate the ease and dynamism of it all.

Certainly, mc belongs near the center of the linux universe.  But I'm still sure that 2 DVD fedora set was
designed by them to fit their graphical install system, which is a little crass but I imagine does a fine job
of quickly and easily installing some generic style systems (just mc was not on any of them ;P).  RHEL I
would point out is more specifically a commercial server product and I would hope any server I have to
connect to has mc available, so good for them.

--
MK <halfcountplus intergate com>
C/perl & web programmer