Re: annoyances which seem to arise from Unicode

Theodore Kilgore wrote:

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009, Russell Shaw wrote:

Theodore Kilgore wrote:

Have you tried ~/.Xresources? In mine (debian) i have:

!Make Alt-o send ESC-o in mc, instead of "i" with daeresis.
XTerm*eightBitInput: true
XTerm*altSendsEscape: true
XTerm*metaSendsEscape: true

Well, I believe in the minimalist, incremental approach whenever possible. So I decided to try these things one at a time to see what happens. Indeed, the addition of the one line

XTerm*metaSendsEscape:  true

in $HOME/.Xresources does make the problem to go away, which is associated with using su to log in as root in one of the open xterms.

This still leaves one to figure out what to do about the problem when one logs into another machine.

The users pc with the X display should have in .Xsession:

  xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources
or
  xrdb -override ~/.Xresources
  xrdb -load ~/.Xresources

which will put those settings into the RESOURCE_MANAGER property on the root
window of screen 0.

In .Xresources, have:

  XTerm*metaSendsEscape:  true

Therefore, the same resources should get used by all X client programs, no
matter where they're run from, or whether the user is using an su xterm.