Re: Mc Digest, Vol 60, Issue 7

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009, chris glur wrote:

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 00:49:40 -0500 (CDT)
Theodore Kilgore wrote:
> and switched over to be root in that xterm. In this event, the root user's
> copy of the .Xdefaults file is obviously either not read, or is
> inoperative.

My /root/.Xdefaults has got:--------------
xterm*scrollKey: on
xterm*VT100.Translations: #override\n\
       <Key>BackSpace: string(0x7F)\n\
       <Key>Delete: string("\033[3~")\n\
       <Key>Home: string("\033[1~")\n\
       <Key>End: string("\033[4~")
   <KeyPress>Prior : scroll-back(1,page)\n\
       <KeyPress>Next : scroll-forw(1,page)
So, does that mean that if I can find the 'code' for
eg. <alt/F12>, I can make that a hot key for bash ?

Hi, Chris,

While I do not know the answer to this with absolute certainty, I suspect that such a thing is possible. If I understand your meaning, you want to bind F12 to do something, whenever you press it?

You can do that with the standard keyboard utilities. I used to have F12 configured to turn on midnight commander whenever I hit it. This worked, of course, both in a VT and also in an xterm.

Theodore Kilgore