Re: SCREEN command and MCEdit under SLES9

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 07:18:17PM +0300, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Anton Monroe wrote:

My own problem is using MC when SSH-ing from OS/2 to a Linux machine.
I've tried 'mc -x' and a variety of $TERM settings on each end in an
unsystematic way, but haven't hit on a combination that works well.

Don't worry, I'm not asking the MC developers to solve that problem.
But if anyone has some hints or pointers to sources of information about
terminal problems, we could add them to the FAQ file.

First of all - what is that problem ?

Argh.  I wasn't very clear, was I?  The context was the thread about
the screen command and getting various PF keys to work correctly.

Depending on how I configure SSH, $TERM, and MC, certain keys don't do
anything, or they print control sequences.  Using TERM=xterm or
TERM=xterm-color comes closest to getting the keys right, but it causes
beeping noises (when the screen redraws?).

It must be just a matter of experimenting until I get the terminal
settings right.  Or maybe write a custom Terminfo file, but I'll have to
do a lot of studying to learn how. Coming from the DOS/Windows/OS2
world, terminal emulation is a dark and bloody mystery to me.

Maybe someday, someone will write a diagnostic program that will make it
easier. It could prompt the user to press keys and read what sequences
are received; then send sequences to the terminal and ask the user what
he sees on the screen; then give some suggestions about what $TERM
settings to use.

I discovered that 'showkey -a' is useful for seeing what sequence a
keypress actually sends.  That helped me hack the configuration file for
OS/2's SSH client a little.

Anton