C-o on OS X doesn't work properly (yes, I saw the FAQ entry)

Greetings. Control-o is one of the key combinations I use most on Linux
with MC (which is my favorite file manager). Now I installed it on OS X
via fink, and it, well, almost works: That is to say I do get a blank
screen upon pressing C-o, but no prompt. If I then hit enter, it drops
me back into the normal MC screen.

I get the very same behaviour under Cygwin.

My version ist:

--------------------------- snip ---------------------------
bash-2.05a# mc --version
GNU Midnight Commander 4.5.55
Edition: text mode
Virtual File System: tarfs, extfs, ftpfs, mcfs
With builtin Editor
Using system-installed S-Lang library with termcap database
With support for background operations
With mouse support on xterm
Using default locale

Is there a fix?