am I too dumb? (links, MIMEs in gmc)

As it looks I thought gmc can do more than it actually does...

First of all, are there any docs about the Gnome version? Can't find any.

Second: I thought I can just make links on my desktop by dragging items there or tthe like, but no matter
what I try, it doesn't work.

Finally: When I select "edit MIME types", nothing happens. do I have to set some path or the like? Hence gmc
won't care about mimes, each time I for example double click an mp3 it asks me with which app to open it.
In the end this comes down to no mimes at all in gmc.

Can someone help please?

DF