Re: [PMH] Re: [Nautilus-list] Idea for Nautilus and GMC.

On 24 May 2001 13:40:02 +0200, Zak McGregor wrote:
On 24 May 2001 06:06:49 -0400
Christopher James Lahey <clahey ximian com> wrote:

On 24 May 2001 03:09:34 +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
This causes a lot of confusion.  In Nautilus I see 'Documents', but
I cannot
find a direcotry called 'Documents' in the shell.  Hmm, this also
cancels my
idea about '<Display LANG=XY>' above.  Well, translations should
then be
done in the '<Location>' tag.

That doesn't work either because then if you switch languages, you
lose
all your data.  Well, it's in a directory that's harder to find which
amounts to the same thing.

Softlinks perhaps? Removing old softlinks for languages no longer used
could be a problem though. I agree that if I've save my documents to a
directory called 'Documente' via nautilus, I should be able to cd to
Documente from the shell etc.

Softlinks are not fun on the shell:

----------
% ls -al
total 24
drwxr-sr-x    3 tigert   tigert       4096 May 24 15:58 .
drwx--s--x  101 tigert   tigert      16384 May 24 15:58 ..
lrwxrwxrwx    1 tigert   tigert          9 May 24 15:58 Documentos ->
Documents
drwxr-sr-x    2 tigert   tigert       4096 May 24 15:58 Documents
lrwxrwxrwx    1 tigert   tigert          9 May 24 15:58 Docz ->
Documents
lrwxrwxrwx    1 tigert   tigert          9 May 24 15:58 Dokumente ->
Documents
lrwxrwxrwx    1 tigert   tigert          9 May 24 15:58 Dokumenten ->
Documents
lrwxrwxrwx    1 tigert   tigert          9 May 24 15:58 Dokumentit ->
Documents
lrwxrwxrwx    1 tigert   tigert          9 May 24 15:58 Dokumentoriano
-> Documents
lrwxrwxrwx    1 tigert   tigert          9 May 24 15:58 Dokumentos ->
Documents
----------

Anyway, this clearly seems to start flying a bit too high to be
practical, so lets get back to earth. Something simple is the right way
to do it. Maybe we could use Doorman to this - as if there is a Doorman
dialog that helps the user get started, it probably reduces the "Oops I
chose the wrong language" thing for the first-time user. One would
choose the system language from Doorman. And then be done with that.
Maybe if one runs doorman again to change the settings (I wonder if this
would be an useful option to users in general too - a lot of the Ximian
Gnome users want to switch back and forth between Nautilus and gmc, so
maybe it makes a sense to give an option to run "doorman-reset" from
some button somewhere?)

Then if one wants to change the language again, and the folders are
already there in the users GConf and also on the disk, Doorman would
just ask if the user wants them renamed as well, or if they should be
kept as they are.

Tuomas

--
|  Tuomas Kuosmanen  |  Ximian  |  Art Director  |