Re: [PMH] Re: [Nautilus-list] Idea for Nautilus and GMC.

So sprach Ralf Corsepius am Thu, May 24, 2001 at 02:50:36PM +0200:
Actually several times.

For instance, I normally work in a German environment as ordinary
user, but use a 'C'-localeas root.

This means that your root user has the C locale, yes?

In some cases I also use special user accounts in other locales
(primarily "C").

But this doesn't interfere with what I said, does it?

You should also have in mind that several applications are so badly
translated, that people interactively change languages (at least I
often switch to using "C" or English in shells/X-terms). There also
exist several applications whose i18n support is broken and require
using other languages to get them working at all (i.e. German locale
uses "%d,%d" for floats, but some applications expect to see
"%d.%d").

Sorry, but I'm lost.  I understand what you say, but in how far is this
important?  I said (or meant to say *G*), that the directories should be
setup once (or whenever the user clicks on a button to re-setup the
directories).  Further I said that GConf should be used to inform the
applications about where the directories are actually located.  This will
never be anything else than plain text.

The only time he might really change the language might be the very first
time he starts GNOME and when the distribution/admin had chosen a wrong
default.
Root uses "C" in most cases. Consequently system-wide installation
will default to "C", while a personalized environment in many cases
uses another language.

System wide installation?  Uh?  I thought we were talking about a GFS and
also thought that this GFS should specify the layout of the home directory.
System wide installations, especially done as user root, will never (?)
write anything to a users homedirectory, will it?  It will rather write to
system directories (eg. /usr/share/ .....).

Alexander Skwar
--
How to quote:   http://learn.to/quote (german) http://quote.6x.to (english)
Homepage:       http://www.digitalprojects.com   |   http://www.iso-top.de