Re: [PMH] Re: [Nautilus-list] Idea for Nautilus and GMC.

On 23 May 2001 19:34:47 -0400, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

I agree completely, love the idea, fully, and totally.

But here is a problem for you:

      How do you make that work in other languages other than
      English?

Ouch, good thinking. Is it at all reasonable to think about something
like the ideas people proposed on followups? So we could use GConf or
something to get the actual dir name; There would be a function or
something called "gimme_the_users_gnome_documents_dir_name()" and
it would return the dir name from the users settings. I am not trying
to be a coder here though so I dont know if this would be good or not..

There is also a problem if the user happens to change her language
setting after a while and then the folders have "wrong" names. But I
guess set the paths on the users environment on the first login only, so
they wont change later. But if the user deletes those folders it could
be a problem; need to have the file dialog not display "Cannot access
directory", but rather have the function return the parent dir or
something if the dir does not exist, or is not readable. So it would end
up in $HOME if the folder did not exist..

I think even more important thing with GNOME is to have the file dialog
remember the last folder visited, per application. Both for save and
load (these are usually different) - so then one would just create
whatever directories and save there once and the application will
remember the location next time.

I am just wondering if the default folders thing is more effort than it
is worth? The default directories thing would be nice if it was easy to
implement and if they would work right. It would also be nice to set
them as default bookmarks in the file dialog.

Tuomas

--
|  Tuomas Kuosmanen  |  Ximian  |  Art Director  |