Re: [PMH] Re: [Nautilus-list] Idea for Nautilus and GMC.

On 23 May 2001 18:26:14 -0400, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

      There are several IRC clients that can do auto-dcc, and some  default
the dcc-save directory to your homedir. This is stupid.
      And I am sure there are users who dont understand DCC and what
      it is once we get more novice users to GNOME. So DCC send a   .desktop
file and some nasty binary to the user, using some of       the funny icons
from /usr/share/pixmaps, and it is pretty likely
      people will click it. Or just send binaries as email.

Note that this will happen right now anyways, as .desktop files do not
need to have the execute bit set.

Fix the irc clients to not accept random data by default.

Yep, this is the problem. Though XChat warns you about this anyway.

I talked with people on #interface last week and we thought it might be
good to have some "GNOME Filesystem Standard" for $HOME:

        $HOME
           `---- Desktop/  <- grumble, but you know me :)
           `---- Documents/
                    `---- Images/
                    `---- Videos/
                    `---- Music/
                    `---- Downloads/
           `---- Programs/
                    `---- Evolution/
                    `---- Nautilus/

etc.

Now this hierarchy is not the point. It is not good, and it should be
thought out well, and I am sure it will make sense. The point is would
it be good for GNOME apps to use this standard so they would default to
these directories for their save and load operations, and if needed,
would install user data files and config stuff to common places. So IRC
would default the DCC save dir to $HOME/Documents/Downloads/ or
something.

Would something like this make sense?

Tuomas

--
|  Tuomas Kuosmanen  |  Ximian  |  Art Director  |