Re: Transifex and Russian & Italian translations

On Mon, Jun 08, 2015 at 10:41:30PM +0200, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:
On Mon, 2015-06-08 at 12:09 +0200, Marco Ciampa wrote:

I do not want to "go back" to transiflex. If it will be so, I
understand and respect your decision, but I'll not continue updating
mc in Italian.

Hi Marco,

Hi Yury,

My ultimate goal is not to force you to use Transifex, but to get the
problem solved.

The problem as I see it, is that there is you, and there is some
mythical Italian translation team on Transifex. It seems that the
translations are out of sync, yours is better and more complete, and the
work by Transifex team, whatever they've been doing so far was going
directly to the waste bin. I think that the latter situation is
suboptimal to say the least. I hope you would agree with that.

Yes of course.

If your position is that you don't want to touch Transifex with a 10
feet pole,

Not at all. I even have an account on Transifex.

and either you commit directly to git, or you won't work on
the translation at all, then at very least we should disband the Italian
translation team on Transifex, and delete the language from there, don't
you think so? This is one of the possible decisions that can be taken...

As I see from the Transifex site the Italian Team is:

-----------------

Team Managers

    ZYV

Coordinators

    TrAndy (Andreas Troschka)

Reviewers

    There are no reviewers added yet. Read more about collaborator roles here.

Translators

    ciampix (Marco Ciampa)

    ihaveadrin (Teodoro Santoni)

-----------------

So it seem I'm 50% of the team ;-)

However, I don't understand your arguments as to *why* you don't want to
use Transifex. It seems to me, that you have some misconceptions as to
how it works in the actuality, and this is why you don't want to use it.

Probably. I got an account on Transifex in 2010 and used sporadically.
Now it seem to be changed a lot from the last time I used it actively.
I just installed the transifex command line client ... interesting...

Transifex does have a web interface, and associated workflow, but you
also have the option to simply use it as a repository, just instead of
git pull & commit & push when you are ready with editing & testing your
PO-file in whichever way you like, you have to do tx pull & tx push.

This is a good thing.

Unfortunately, I don't have any more time to read your other message
attentively today, so I'll try to get back to it and understand what
your problem really is later this week.

Ok. As a compromise may I conserve the write access to the git repository
but use Transifex as a "preferred" interface? Could it be feasible?

It is not clear to me though the update mechanism and why Transifex have
another (unupdated) copy of the translation...

PS: is there an IRC channel for Midnight Commander, maybe on #mc on freenode?
Why not put it in mc home page? Is the channel operator in the mc team?

--

Marco Ciampa

| GNU/Linux User  #78271 |
| FSFE fellow       #364 |