Re: Transifex and the manual files

Hi Marco,

On Mon, 2015-06-08 at 18:04 +0200, Marco Ciampa wrote:

I can try to do it. I already use po4a for another project (KiCad).
Before this email I was even thinking to suggest the use of po4a to
this aim. ;-)

This would be awesome!

I am not an expert on make/automake/autoconf though so I probably am
going to need a hand in this respect.

No problem, I can try to help you to integrate whatever you come up with
as time permits.

I don't think you'd need to mess with autostuff though. As a first
approximation, I suppose the output could be two shell scripts:

- one would take the "reference" (English) man page template (man.x.in),
and convert it to a pot-file using the po4a tool with correct settings

- another one would take the translated po-file, and convert it back
into a man.x.in file, which would be suitable to generate the help files

On top of that we can build some automation to synchronize them back and
forth with Transifex, but this can come later.

The essential, as I understood is that there is some problem with po4a
related to roff formatting such that man -> po -> man files currently
can't be used with the help generator.

Do you already have an account on Transifex? If yes, I can tell you the
commands to fetch all the translated files so far, so that you can
experiment with real stuff.

I'll do some experiments in these days and post here the results...

No hurry...

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev