Re: mc.ext is problematic by nature

First of all, sorry for the very late reply.

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Holger Herrlich
<holgerherrlich05 arcor de> wrote:

> On 04/09/2012 12:48 AM, László Monda wrote:
>> I'd like to emphasize the advantages of respecting system defaults
>> (and making them overridable through mc.ext).
>
>> You made your point clear, mc.ext has its advantages.  So as taking
>> system level defaults, I think.
>
> What are that advantages?

The advantages are respecting system-level defaults and behaving
consistently.  (And please let's not go again into whether the
freedesktop standards constitute as system level standards because
it's the best that we have on Linux desktops and it's fairly widely
available.)

It has been emphasized in this thread that MC is a cross-platform
application that can run on Linux desktops, Linux servers, OpenWrt,
Android, etc.  If so, then it doesn't make a damn sense to provide a
single hardcoded association file (mc.ext) for all these platforms.

The freedesktop standards pertain to Linux desktops, Android surely
has something else and some systems don't have anything.

> What do you want to change in the file mc.ext? What features?

I don't want anything in mc.ext to be changed.  I'd rather want a
checkbox option under Options -> Configuration called something like
"override mc.ext associations with native ones" which would override
the mc.ext open actions with the associations that are defined on the
system level.

--
László Monda <http://monda.hu>