Re: mc.ext is problematic by nature

On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 8:33 PM, Holger Herrlich
<holgerherrlich05 arcor de> wrote:
> On 04/07/2012 12:04 AM, László Monda wrote:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> Upon reinstalling Linux I had to face mc.ext having lots of
>> associations that refer to outdated applications.  This is a specific
>> case but there's a general problem.
>>
>> The first problem is that MC is supposed to be a cross-platform file
>> manager and as such it's not possible to cherry-pick applications that
>> are the best on every platform.  The second problem is that these
>> applications are in flux and the most popular ones will change by
>> time.
>>
>> There are lots of tickets requesting mc.ext changes because of the
>> above.  On the long run this is a fight against windmills.
>>
>> Has anybody considered using platform-specific native registries of
>> file associations instead of using mc.ext?
>>
>> (Maybe mc.ext shouldn't be deprecated but platform-specific native
>> registries should be the default and those could be overridden in
>> mc.ext.)
>
> Please note that this solution is applied in firefox such that !wine!
> notepad is launched for text files in linux -- no way to disable the
> feature.

Regarding your example, the user can (and should) change this
association on the system level.  Also, this example is rather an
exception than the norm as system level assiociations are usually
fairly relevant.

I agree however that eliminating mc.ext is probably overkill, but
system level defaults should be taken into consideration and mc.ext
could provide a way to override those.

--
László Monda <http://monda.hu>