Re: Alt+function keys and other keys

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 22:37 +0100, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 09:55 -0600, R. Steven Rainwater wrote:
> > Maybe there needs to be a policy that key combination changes must be
> >  tested on mainline terminals before they are accepted in released
> >  versions of MC.
>
> The issue here is that xterm is considered to be the reference, and in
> fact in what concerns the PgUp / PgDown problem, it's a Gnome terminal
> bug that VTE maintainers are unwilling to fix.

I agree the bug is in Gnome terminal but if we know it isn't going to be
fixed, then intentionally using that key combination seems like an
intentional choice to drop support for a high profile terminal.

To me, it makes more sense to map the key combinations that work in the
majority of widely used terminals and then select among those the ones
to be used in MC. In other words, why not try to make MC work with the
maximum number of terminals instead of intentionally breaking
compatibility with some of them?

The key combos can be remapped by the end user, so it should be possible
to offer an MC that works out of the box for nearly everybody. Then, if
a particular user really wants to use a key mapping that works only in
his terminal and no others, he can manually change it without breaking
things for everyone else.

-Steve