Re: Mc-devel Digest, Vol 66, Issue 5

* Yury V. Zaytsev <yury shurup com> schrieb:
> On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 16:33 +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
>
> > libmvfs is actively maintained by me (and I dont see any reason for
> > abandoning it ever). As it's vital to several of my customer projects,
> > I'll always maintain it.
>
> If you want it to be an open project, why wouldn't you for starters
> create a simple webpage for it so that others can participate?

Why does participation need some website ?

Everybody can grab the code and mail me. There are projects outside
which now work for decades and are integral part of most GNU/Linux
or xBSD distros.

If you need anything concrete, just let me know. But please dont
complain that such a small project doesnt have a big infrastructure.

> So far it's just a semi-private (probably publicly accessible though)
> git repo that no one even knows about.

You (folks @ this list) know about it - that should be enough
for MC's business.

> WHO is willing to fork it and maintain it if you are gone?

* Who was willing to catch up the previously abandoned MC project ?
* Who is willing to maintain the current mc-internal vfs ?
* Who will be willing the - by certain folks here - planned
  completely new (again mc-internal) vfs layer ?

> No one knows about your project in the first place, that's the problem.

Once there was a time nobody knew about Linux ...

Even if I repeat myself now: my plan is to replace mc-internal
vfs my mvfs in the long run. Of course, there's still a lot to do,
mainly port existing vfs'es to mvfs. As smb is planned to be
reimplemented ontop recent libsmb, this would be an ideal starting
point. Once done, adding it to (mvfs-based) MC will take about 5mins.

cu
	http://patches.metux.de/