Re: Unwanted natural sorting of numbers

On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 15:24 +0100, Miguel Pérez wrote:

> I've tried with various locale and collation settings, but I can't
> make it work differently (from sorting like a1 a3 a20), except if
> LC_COLLATE is set to an invalid collation, which will make mc revert
> to sorting normally (e.g. a1 a20 a3) but then UTF-8 support will be
> broken.

My testing Ubuntu Hardy system is set up as follows:

zyv mypride:~/Desktop$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

> I've also tried compiling and running mc from the latest sources,
> 4.7.0-pre4, with the same result, so it might be something in my
> system that's making Midnight Commander sort like that.

Yes, it looks like this issue has to do with your specific setup. I'm
not implying that it is NOT an mc problem, but at least for now we
couldn't reproduce it.

> Is there anything else I can do, try or post about my system that
> might help determine what's going on?

Your best bet would be to open a ticket on the Trac with all relevant
information as not all of the developers follow the list. Maybe someone
will then come up with a test case to isolate the problem.

Sorry, my diagnosis powers are depleted at this point.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev