Re: Unwanted natural sorting of numbers

I've tried with various locale and collation settings, but I can't make it work differently (from sorting like a1 a3 a20), except if LC_COLLATE is set to an invalid collation, which will make mc revert to sorting normally (e.g. a1 a20 a3) but then UTF-8 support will be broken.

I've also tried compiling and running mc from the latest sources, 4.7.0-pre4, with the same result, so it might be something in my system that's making Midnight Commander sort like that.

I've verified my system's strcoll function orders strings as expected (i.e. strcoll("a10", "a3") returns -1).

Is there anything else I can do, try or post about my system that might help determine what's going on?

Thank you very much for your help

2009/12/3 Yury V. Zaytsev <yury shurup com>
On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 13:04 +0100, Miguel Pérez wrote:

>     This is happening to both of my workstations, a Debian sid x86 one
> and an Ubuntu 8.04 AMD64 one, both running Debian's mc 4.7.0-pre1-3,
> both with UTF-8 locales (en_US.UTF-8 and es_ES.UTF-8) but LC_COLLATE
> set to 'C'. Is there anything I could provide that might help
> determine what's wrong with my Midnight Commander setup?

Hmmm... Can't reproduce:

declare -x LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
declare -x LC_COLLATE="C"
declare -x LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"
declare -x LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
declare -x LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"

Anyone?

>     Alternatively, do you know if there are any important patches in
> the Debian versions of mc 4.7 that aren't yet available in the
> upstream version 4.7.0-pre4?

No, removed the last one a week ago. Only Debian-specific stuff, like
zip bug, smb bug, awk, editor, pdf, djvu, images.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev

--
Antes de imprimir este correo electrónico, considera tu responsabilidad medioambiental.

Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this email.