[bug #19486] File properties lost on the way

Update of bug #19486 (project mc):

Follow-up Comment #1:

This is no different than what 'cp' does. I just cannot see how this could be
done - see below. I am closing this as "Wont Fix".

>From the 'cp' manpage:

[...]
In order to preserve the owner and group  id,  per-
mission  modes,  and modification and access times,
users must have the appropriate file access permis-
sions.  This  includes  being superuser or the same
owner id as the destination file.
[...]

>From the utimes() manpage:

[...]
EACCES          Search permission is denied by  a  component
                of the path prefix; or the times argument is
                a null pointer and the effective user ID  of
                the  process does not match the owner of the
                file and write access is denied.
[...]

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?19486>

  Message sent via/by Savannah