Re: utf8 patch for mc, slang 2 version

Dear All,

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Egmont Koblinger wrote:

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 07:14:41PM +0200, Tomasz K?oczko wrote:

BTW: anyone is working on UFT-8 support for ncurses(w) backend ?

I don't think so, and I don't think it is worth it. Maintaining two backends
IMHO just causes headaches while it doesn't make mc better. I still can't
see why developers do not decide which one to use and drop the other one.

With Unicode support maintaining the two will be much harder since AFAIK
slang works with UTF-8 while ncurses uses UCS-4. Hence a completely
different patch would be required for the two cases.

Why not to follow the way used in non-UTF mc,
and use curses-like calls (translated to ncurses calls or emulated by slang calls in myslang.h)?

  I have made mc 4.6.1 with UTF patches compile and run when
  linked against ncrurses 5.4 by replacing
  SLsmg_write_nwchars by addnwstr.

Thus, it may be a good idea to use addnwstr as the wide character output routine, addnwstr being a ncurses call or a wrapper around SLsmg_write_nwchars
 (along the lines addch is implemented now).

       Sincerely, Michail