Re: cons.saver not suid root

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 05:43:05PM +0200, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 17:23, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > suppose i prefer configure && make && stow ...
>
> Patch is your friend. Or just chown and chmod afterwards.

you needn't to educate _me_. now that i identified the problem and
patched my checkout i could not care less.

> > do you really expect every new user to do a bughunt as the first thing?
>
> I'd expect most new users to use a distro that sets this up properly for
> them.

you shouldn't. particularly, you should not force them to do so by
making either way of installation harder in unexpected ways.

> IMO this is more of a documentation issue than a build issue. Maybe
> we should add a note to the README.

readmes are only read when the installation is non-obvious in the first
place or when a problem suggesting a user fault occurs. personally, i'd
assume it's a bug or the feature is missing alltogether.

> > also, don't underestimate the "usage rate" of the upstream build
> > system.  it is the de-facto standard of installing 3rd-party unix
> > software.
>
> Any statistics on this?

i don't think percentages matter in this case. there is a non-trivial
amount of users that use this method, even if it is only 1% of the total
number. but the other 99% are outright irrelevant to that matter.

> By the way, afaik cons.saver is only used on Linux.

i think freebsd was discussed some time ago. anyway, what's the point?

> > what type of eventualities do you talk about?
>
> Possible introduction of bugs when somebody should start touching this
> code.

oh, c'mon, the idiot that touches a suid/sgid program without thoroughly
considering the consequences should be stoned anyway. maybe the blob at
the top of the file should be made more explicit to protect against
roland^Wpeople that tend to commit faster than they think. ;)