Re: cons.saver not suid root

Hi Oswald,

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 17:03, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> and "punish" the upstream users, including ourselves? interesting.

This issue can be easily fixed with package builds. I'd assume people
that don't use a form packaging on their systems should be knowledgeable
enough to read the docs and fix this issue by hand. How much effort is
it to suid root the binary anyway if you really don't want to figure out
how to setup the device access?

> ugly is this paranoia wrt just making it suid root.

What about the concept of "least necessary access"?

> how many LOC is it?
> i mean, if none of the five halfways qualified developers here is able
> to audit this thing and declare it secure, mc can pack it's bags anyway

You ignore the possibility of eventualities in the future. "Least
necessary access" argument once more.

Leonard.