Re: cons.saver not suid root

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 04:49:11PM +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

> we have no portable (even across
> linuxes) way to create a vcsa user, so there is no other option than
> root.

How about not creating a user or group, but observing the installed system?

IMHO if all the vcsa devices are owned by the same user or same group whose
uid/gid is below 100, then we could assume that that one is a vcsa-like user
or group, and install mc setgid or setuid to that particular gid or uid.

If this is not the case, that is, the user or group varies or is greater
than 100 (which might mean that a real user is logged in on all the ttys),
then we could still fallback to setuid root.

bye,

Egmont