Re: cons.saver not suid root

Hi Oswald,

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 17:23, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> suppose i prefer configure && make && stow ...

Patch is your friend. Or just chown and chmod afterwards.

> do you really expect every new user to do a bughunt as the first thing?

I'd expect most new users to use a distro that sets this up properly for
them. IMO this is more of a documentation issue than a build issue.
Maybe we should add a note to the README.

> also, don't underestimate the "usage rate" of the upstream build system.
> it is the de-facto standard of installing 3rd-party unix software.

Any statistics on this? By the way, afaik cons.saver is only used on
Linux.

> what about the concept of "user friendliness"?
> yes, there is a tradeoff. well, everywhere is.

I agree. But we disagree on which trade off to make.

> what type of eventualities do you talk about?

Possible introduction of bugs when somebody should start touching this
code.

Leonard.